Monday, January 2, 2012

New Year's Resolution: Gratitude


So I haven't written in a really long time, probably because I have a lot going on. Having a toddler and a new baby in the house has created a time vortex around here. It seems that the second we get them down to sleep in the evening, we're either playing "whack-a-mole", running upstairs to comfort the baby repeatedly, or we're passing out ourselves from sheer exhaustion (caused by playing a very similar game of "whack-a-mole" all night long). So yeah, writing kind of takes a backseat. But I do want to record what's been happening so that I can look back on it and laugh someday. Really, that's all this blog is: a running commentary of things I find funny or sad or ridiculous intended for me (and occasionally my family) to reread in the future, often peppered with long tangents.

Now what was my point? Oh yeah, gratitude. A lot of people make New Year's resolutions to lose weight (I'm getting there, amazingly), become more organized (ha! with kids?!), or get more sleep (see "whack-a-mole" above). I think I'll make a resolution I can actually keep, as I've already had a little practice since the birth of our son. I'm going to resolve to be more
grateful for all of the incredible things in my life. Sure, I'm totally going to report the crazy things that happen and I'll probably be annoyed and even bitter every now and again, but for the most part, I want to spend 2012 awash in gratitude for the little miracles that have been bestowed upon us. Y'know, things like kids, good health, and convection toaster ovens.

Today, I'm marveling at the big things. My two spectacular children and the partner with whom I couldn't have done it.
(You might not be able to see it all, but my husband is decked out in flashy play jewelry. Yup. That's my guy. See what I'm saying? Grateful.)