Monday, April 6, 2009

Grammar Nazi

Admittedly, I am completely persnickety when it comes to all things grammar, but some things annoy me more than others. Here are a few that I see BLATANTLY misused over and over again in our society:
  • lose vs. loose -- No. You did no loose your cat or your purse, unless you pulled them until they stretched much larger. And that would be cruel.
  • overused apostrophes -- When you add one of these bad boys plus an s to a word, you end up with POSSESSION, not plural.  So no, I would not like to go out for drink's and do not want to be wished a very merry Christmas from the Smith's. 
  • Your and you're -- Don't you want to sound as smart as you think you are? When you're smart, your writing reflects that.
  • Their, there, and they're -- There are three women talking in the previous post. Their grammar and spelling skills leave a lot to be desired.  They're annoying.
  • Super DUMB spelling mistakes -- Look it up. You're an adult.  You can spell words like tomorrow and definitely correctly.  Be a ROLE (not roll) MODEL for our young generation, already!
  • I'm sure there are more examples that frustrate the heck out of me, but I'm winded from all of this ranting. I'll have to write more later.
Regarding my more recent post with the moms talking: 
  • Yes those mamas are nice, but they're not, nor will they ever be, "mama's".
  • Spelling Lesson #1: again, not agin
  • Spelling Lesson #2: aggressive, not agressive
  • Spelling Lesson #3: sense, not since (at least the way you wrote it)
  • Contractions aren't just for those who are pregnant or about to give birth! They're great!  They always involve an apostrophe, which is a special little symbol to let the reader know when you're shortening two words (like I am becomes "I'm").
  • You're and your are not the same word. For instance, if you want to encourage someone, you say, "You're doing well!" and if you want to acknowledge someone's thanks, you say, "You're welcome."  Your is possessive.  It means you OWN something.  For instance, I might say, "Your intellect is clearly suffering from lack of grammar knowledge. This could be helped if you went back to elementary school."