Friday, March 13, 2009

A message to our over-the-fence neighbor

Hey there neighbor! We've since forgotten your name, as you live over our back fence and we haven't seen you since the day you offered us any citrus fruits that fell into our back yard. Sorry about that.  But I wanted to say that your kindness has not been forgotten.  This is why it is difficult to write you this today.

You see, you, like many Yorba Linda residents, own a motor home.  Motor homes are large, hulking beasts that, unless one has a behemoth garage, usually reside along the side of the lot. Yours is no exception.  While I don't relish the view up to the gloriously green hills by way of your atrocity, I forgive you this "on the road again" passion.  I'm sure that motor home has provided you and your family with wonderful memories across this great nation.  I don't begrudge you that.  However, I do have a small bone to pick with you regarding your care and maintenance of said vehicle.

Throughout the rainy season, we would watch as you scurried to the top of that tan-colored roof to stretch a tarp over the top.  I remember thinking upon seeing this for the first time: Wow! That guy is committed to keeping his possessions in good repair. I wish I had that kind of commitment.  That is, until I saw the color of the tarp.  Don't get me wrong; this particular shade of blue would not look at all out of place in, say, Santorini, but here it is just a plastic eyesore.  

I had to keep myself in check; this guy sweetly shares his oranges and lemons with us (none of which have ever fallen into our yard, but whatever) and seems to put this ugly monstrosity up only when it rains...which is close to never in Southern California, right?

Wrong.  Now that we've lived here for almost two years, I am coming to the realization that our friendly neighbor has had it with the climbing.  This blue tarp stays up nearly 24/7.  

Possible plans of action? Finding a large tree to transplant, sneaking over to his house in the middle of the night to covertly steal it (tarp or motor home or both), um...yup...that's all I've got.  So if you have any bright ideas, I'm in the market for one.