Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Take Back the Sofa

This post is about our sofa, but I really need to start with the two adorable kitties we adopted back in October. They are still kittens, and they also have all of their claws. This is a major departure from our two previous cats who were declawed (and lived to the ripe old age of 18). Other than the veterinary assistant job I had the summer between my sophomore and junior year of high school, I haven't really given claws much of a thought. 

Until now. 

Back in October, we were a bit concerned. Our two cats were born of a feral mother and we were worried that these two timid, jittery felines were not going to acclimate to our family or life. Fortunately, they have acclimated. Completely. So much so, that our sweet, cuddly fur-babies have "adopted" our expensive Pottery Barn sofa in the living room as their home base and scratching post. 


They could choose almost anything else in the house: old nubby carpet, cheap dining room chairs from Living Spaces...I would even be cool with them using a comforter that we could replace. But instead, they chose the one piece of furniture on which Keith and I dropped over $2000 of our hard-earned cash. So today, I decided to take it back. 

I had an idea. What if the little pill shaver I use on my sweaters worked for the couch? 


There's really nothing that would make it worse. So I figured, why not? We had a large crowd coming today--over 100 people for a luncheon for work--and this couch is an embarrassment that we keep covered up under throw blankets. It just ends up looking shabby and slovenly in a room that is very polished and sleek.

And much to my surprise and delight, it worked like a charm. Sure, it's not going to fix the corner that they have completely torn apart, but it did make the rest look really really nice. You saw the "before" picture; now take a look at the during and after shots:


I cut off the longer strings and loops that were hanging all over to make the job of shaving the fabric easier.


Voila! Here is the much better finished product. I really couldn't be happier. )And now I need to get to Petsmart to buy a product that makes the cats less likely to do this again.)