Sunday, December 6, 2009

Lots of Snot

Yes, phlegm is an unwelcome visitor in the Carmona household and Natalie has not only learned about viruses, but she also learned that "sharing is caring" this week. Namely--she shared her cold with me. Fun.

Life with an illness before child:
Rolling over at the sound of Keith's alarm, I would create a happy, soft, warm nest of pillows in the dead middle of the bed, give a dramatic cough or sniffle, and settle back to sleep--sometimes for hours. The cats loved when I stayed home. They'd get loads of attention from me because I'd be the stationary (temporary) cat-lady.

Taking sick days was a rare occurrence, but when it happened, I'd curl up on the sofa and watch my DVR'ed shows, channel surf, catch up on emails, go online, or even read a whole book front to back. While it sucked to be sick, it was almost relaxing.

I would baby myself (pardon the pun) and require Keith to shower me with attention (don't worry--I always reciprocate when the tables are turned). I'd take loads of OTC medicine and relaxing baths, turning in early for the night.

Life with an illness WITH child:
I wake up at the same time I usually awaken, sometimes after being up half the night with Natalie (suctioning, nursing, calming, and putting baby back to bed). This is usually around 6:00 a.m. Sometimes earlier, sometimes later. Like 6:15.

I get ready just like any other day. If I don't shower now, I might not get a chance. Plus, my throat is closed and pained, and my sinuses are clogged. The steam might help and with no medicine, over-the-counter or otherwise, I'll take what I can get. Of course, this shower has to be quick; no baths today.

Scush needs entertainment during the blow-drying of my hair, so I sing (with ultra-sore throat) The Wheels on the Bus (Go Round and Round...), making up lyrics to elongate the song whilst sweeping mucus from under my nose and simultaneously applying a scant amount of makeup, just in case I have to show my sleep-deprived and sick self in public (scary!).

After I dress--sometimes in the same pajamas (with clean underwear, thank you)--, I head downstairs and maybe eat breakfast (or maybe not) before feeding Natalie and then entertaining her until her first nap of the day. The regular schedule commences, with added nursing for sick Bean. Mommy = Clara Belle Cow, especially when child is ill.

Maybe I'll have 20-40 minutes of rest while baby naps, but this is interrupted often by bouts of crying, coughing, and sneezing--by the baby, not the mom. I go upstairs to calm the girl and (fingers crossed!) get her to sleep some more. When it's apparent that she is not going to continue rest, I bring her downstairs to play/nurse/fuss. When she's ready to eat, I nurse her until she inevitably falls asleep on me and I have to urinate. Every time without fail. Murphy--I live my life by your law.

Repeat until Keith gets home from work.

After baby goes to bed (and the three loads of laundry are done and the dishwasher is cleaned out and the house is picked up), I'll have glass of wine to take the edge off. Keith, bless his heart, is the chef and he makes dinner for me even when I'm healthy. Sigh. Lucky much? We'll watch a little TV, talk about our day, and then turn in at the usual time. I pump (as usual) and turn in, hoping for a few straight hours of sleep before Natalie awakens screaming with snot pouring out of her head. For now, it's peaceful.